This is a step-by-step blueprint for how to work with schools to produce healthier school meals. It covers:
- The rationale for getting involved in projects like this
- Integration of school meals into wellness policies
- Methods for setting up the projects
- Practical matters such as procurement, facilities, finances, and waste management
- Staff training
- Marketing and communications
- Additional resources
I get asked all the time for help in changing school meal programs. This guide is a good starting place.
Next public appearance
New Directions in the Fight Against Hunger and Malnutrition: A Festschrift in Honor of Per Pinstrup-Andersen. Cornell University, Statler Hotel Amphitheater. The conference begins at 7:30 a.m. with breakfast and ends with a reception the following day with remarks by professor Pinstrup-Andersen at 2:25 p.m. For the schedule and details, click here.
My joint contribution with Malden Nesheim is from 1:40-2:00 p.m. on “the internationalization of the obesity epidemic: the case of sugar-sweetened sodas.”