From comedian Mark Russell*
- No dessert until you finish your tomato paste.
- The push to limit pizza in school lunch programs has been derailed in Congress by members who classify tomato paste as a vegetable. Who says this is a do-nothing Congress?
- Their true quote: “An eighth of a cup of tomato paste has the nutritional value of a half-cup of vegetables and when mixed with water for pizza sauce, more of a vegetable is created.”
- Right. And when you add cheese, pepperoni and sausage — voila! — you have a healthy fruit salad.
* c/o Tribune Media Services, 2225 Kenmore Ave., Suite 114, Buffalo, NY 14207.
Next public appearance
My lecture is sponsored by the McCoy Family Center for Ethics and Society: ”Advocacy for Healthier Food Systems: From Clicks to Occupy.” 7:30 p.m. at Cubberley Auditorium. For more information, click here.