From comedian Mark Russell*
- No dessert until you finish your tomato paste.
- The push to limit pizza in school lunch programs has been derailed in Congress by members who classify tomato paste as a vegetable. Who says this is a do-nothing Congress?
- Their true quote: “An eighth of a cup of tomato paste has the nutritional value of a half-cup of vegetables and when mixed with water for pizza sauce, more of a vegetable is created.”
- Right. And when you add cheese, pepperoni and sausage — voila! — you have a healthy fruit salad.
* c/o Tribune Media Services, 2225 Kenmore Ave., Suite 114, Buffalo, NY 14207.
Next public appearance
This is the rescheduling of the lecture I was supposed to give on October 10. The taxi driver went through red light at entrance to the Pulaski, was pulled over and found to be driving without a license. We never made it. The lecture is on food politics. It starts at 6:00. Free and open to the public. The Newark Museum is at 49 Washington Street. This time, I’ll take the PATH.