I am indebted to Food Chemical News (FCN) for this insight into the current lobbying efforts of the Council for Responsible Nutrition, the supplement industry’s relentless, never give up, trade group.
FCN says the Council is on track to visit all new congressional representatives with these asks:
- Allow SNAP benefits to be used for dietary supplements.
- Allow the supplement industry to self-regulate.
- Join the bipartisan Dietary Supplement Caucus.
Never mind that dietary supplements are hardly ever shown to improve health in healthy people, and not for lack of trying (see previous posts, below).
Never mind that this is an issue the USDA has been dealing with for years.
This industry sees the current political scene as favorable to supplements and is not going to miss this opportunity.
As you can see, I take a dim view of the value of supplements (yes, I know you love taking them, and how we all wish the science showed they did some good).
Here are some of my previous posts on supplements, if you want to catch up.
- Buyers beware: supplements are not what they seem. Again.
- Alas, the bad news on dietary supplements continues
- The dismal news about supplements. Why bother?
- Dietary supplements: A round-up of bad news