I’m on a panel for the NYAS’s conference on Conflicts of Interest in Healthcare: Opportunities for Self-Reflection and Action, June 24-25. Location: 7 World Trade Center. 250 Greenwich St, 40th Floor. Information and registration are here. My panel is on the 25th at 10:45 a.m. , Session VI: Hot topic discussion: getting to the truth in nutrition science. Other panelists are Mona Calvo fro Penn State, Mehmood Khan from Life Biosciences, and Linda Van Horn from Northwestern. Moderator is Julia Belluz from Vox.
Farm Bill Amendment Scorecard
I’m trying to keep track of the Senate votes on the farm bill amendments, with help from Michael Bulger, Senate Floor Monitor @SenGOP_Floor, @ObamaFoodorama, and the Senate’s official list online.
The list below comes from Farm Bill Primer, where you can read the details of the amendments.
The heartbreak: the defeat yesterday of Senator Gillibrand’s amendment to restore full funding for SNAP.
Senate Amendments for Vote 6-19-12
- Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii #2440 (highly fractionated tribal lands); PASSED
- Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii #2396 (tribal relations office); PASSED
- Max Baucus, D-Mont., #2429 (livestock); PASSED
- Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., #2364 (multi-state aquifers); WITHDRAWN
- Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, #2445 (rural development); PASSED
- Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., #2370 (pulse pilot); PASSED
- Robert Casey, D-Pa., #2238 (technical/study -federal milk marketing) PASSED
- Christopher Coons, D-Del., #2426 (poultry insurance study); PASSED
- Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., #2422 (conservation innovation grants); PASSED
- Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., Feinstein #2309 (insurance recall); PASSED
- Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., #2156 (SNAP); DEFEATED
- Kay Hagan, D-N.C., #2366 (crop insurance plain language); PASSED
- John Kerry, D-Mass., #2187 (commercial fishermen); PASSED
- Mary Landrieu, D-La., #2321 (rural development loans); PASSED
- Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, #2190 (milk marketing order reform); PASSED
- Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., #2192 (value added grants); DEFEATED
- Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, #2167 (pay cap marketing loans); PASSED
- Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., #2174 (SNAP); DEFEATED
- Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., #2172 (SNAP); DEFEATED
- Rand Paul, R-Ky., #2181 ($250,000 income limit); DEFEATED
- Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., #2191 (wind loans); DEFEATED
- John McCain, R-Ariz., #2199 (catfish); PASSED
- Patrick Toomey, R-Pa., #2217 (organic/AMA); DEFEATED
- Jim DeMint, R-S.C., #2263 (broadband funding); DEFEATED
- Jim DeMint, R-S.C., #2262 (SoS Free MKT); PASSED
- Jim DeMint, R-S.C., #2276 (checkoffs); DEFEATED
For what’s happening today, see the Senate list for June 20.
At some point, I’ll try to make sense of all this. For the moment, it’s food politics happening in real time.