Food companies are madly trying to find plant proteins they can use to make plant-based meat alternatives. The plant-based scene is hard to keep up with, but I am trying.
- Tracking the plant-based protein movement: From plant-based burgers to chick’n nuggets, companies have launched a variety of new products, made acquisitions and forged partnerships to be in the meat alternative space. According to the Good Food Institute, $5.9 billion has been invested in alternative protein companies — plant-based, fermentation and cultivated or cell-based — between 2010 and 2020.
Check out the variety of plants under research.
- Four emerging plant proteins to watch: Pongamia, hemp, barley, and chickpea: Hemp, barley, chickpeas, and Pongamia (a.k.a. ‘vertical soy’) are four plant-based proteins to watch in the next decade, according to panelists at FoodNavigator-USA’s recent ‘Plant-based protein in focus’ webinar, who predicted advances in crop breeding to increase protein content or functionality will also unlock new opportunities in the field…. Read more
- Tate & Lyle bets big on chickpea protein, flour, with deal to acquire Nutriati. Tate & Lyle – a global ingredients company best known for sweeteners, fibers, and texturizing ingredients – has moved into the burgeoning plant-based protein arena with a deal to acquire Virginia-based chickpea protein and flour co Nutriati, six months after striking a deal to distribute its ingredients…. Read more
- New varieties with 75% more protein could catapult chickpea from niche to mainstream player in plant protein arena, says NuCicer: New chickpea varieties with 75% more protein could transform the legume from a niche to a mainstream player in the plant-based protein arena, says San Francisco-based startup NuCicer, which is also developing varieties with specific functional attributes tailored for food applications…. Read more
- Could sunflower protein join the plant-based protein major league? It ‘checks all the boxes’ says Burcon. Sunflower is the world’s third largest oilseed crop behind soy and canola, so why isn’t it a major player in the plant-based protein arena?… Read more
- ‘A highly soluble, complete protein, with functional properties very close to whey protein…’ DSM gears up to launch upcycled canola protein isolate. DSM is gearing up to launch commercial quantities of upcycled canola protein isolate extracted from Non GMO rapeseed at a new facility in Dieppe, France, later this year, and says it is seeing interest from firms spanning plant-based meat and dairy, to sports nutrition…. Read more
- Beyond soy and pea… Mikuna expands plant protein toolbox with Chocho whole food. It might fit squarely in the ‘niche’ segment of the plant-based protein category right now, but the speed with which Chocho – a protein-packed variety of lupin that grows in the Andes – has gained traction online and in Erewhon stores in southern California, suggests it has the potential to become a much more significant player, argues Mikuna CEO Tara Kriese…. Read more
- Beneo builds new pulse-processing plant for ‘rising star’ ingredient faba bean: The ingredients supplier is investing €50m in the new facility to make protein concentrate, starch rich flour and hulls from faba beans – a crops that comes with ‘convincing sustainable credentials’, Beneo’s Christoph Boettger tells FoodNavigator…. Read more Ingredion has made an equity investment (of an undisclosed sum) in Israeli firm InnovoPro, which has developed a suite of highly functional chickpea ingredients including protein concentrates, textured vegetable proteins, and most recently, egg replacements…. Read more
- ‘Food oasis in the desert’: Locally grown dates fuel production of mushroom protein in Oman: Alt protein supplier MycoTechnology has teamed up with Oman Investment Authority to produce mushroom protein in the desert…. Read more
- Plant protein that behaves like animal protein? Lemna-fueled Plantible Foods raises $21.5m, gears up for 2022 launch: Plantible Foods – a startup producing protein from lemna, a fast-growing aquatic plant that can be harvested all year round, has raised $21.5m in a series A round* led by Astanor Ventures, as it gears up for a commercial launch in 2022…. Read more
- The tech behind ‘single-ingredient’ smoked salmon analogue revealed: ‘Our spirulina can act as a complete replacement for animal-based protein’ An Israeli food tech company has developed a proprietary process leveraging spirulina to mimic ‘virtually any type of fish and animal tissue’. It’s first product: a ‘single-ingredient’ smoked salmon analogue. Read more
And now we have an FDA-approved ingredient that mimics blood hemoglobin.
- Motif FoodWorks launches HEMAMI heme-binding protein delivering the ‘flavor and aroma of real meat,’ receives GRAS no questions letter from FDA. HEMAMI – a much-anticipated meaty flavor Boston-Based Motif FoodWorks reckons could be a gamechanger in the meat alternatives arena by delivering the flavor and aroma of the real thing – is now commercially available for large-scale distribution to customers…. Read more
Obviously, there is big money in the plant-based space.
- Louis Dreyfus Co plans to enter plant protein market later this year with initial focus on North America: Louis Dreyfus Company – a leading global agricultural commodity trader with interests in grains and oilseeds, coffee, cotton, juice, rice, sugar, and freight – plans to enter the plant-based protein market later this year…. Read more