I’m on a panel moderated by Clark Wolf @clarkwolfsays, with Mitchell Davis @kitchensense, Krishnendu Ray @Raykris1, and Traci DesJardins, @chef_traci to talk about the critical topic of restaurants today and tomorrow as they face today’s horrendous challenges. This is part of the Critical Topics series at NYU’s @FalesLibrary. 5:00 p.m. sharp. Free, but registration required at this link.
Food movement coalitions: Do you know of any?
I’ve been giving talks lately on how to strengthen the food movement and my two-word answer is this: build coalitions.
The food movement includes thousands of organizations working on food issues. For real power, those organizations need to unite around common goals.
At a recent talk in Berkeley, I was asked if I could name some food movement coalitions. I had trouble thinking of any, but the audience popped up with suggestions and I’ve added a couple more.
- California Food and Farming Network is dedicated to advancing state policies that are rooted in communities, promote fairness and racial equity, secure financial prosperity and advance environmental sustainability. It tracks legislation and publishes a scorecard. 50 member groups.
- La Via Campesina: 182 organizations in 81 countries advocate for peasants’ rights, food sovereignty, and social justice and oppose corporate-driven agriculture that destroys social relations and nature.
- National Alliance for Nutrition and Activity (NANA): Its more than 500 organizations advocate for policies and programs to promote healthy eating and physical activity.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition: Its 120 member groups advocate for federal policy reform to advance the sustainability of agriculture, food systems, natural resources, and rural communities by supporting small and mid-size family farms.
- Rural coalition: “Our mission is to build an equitable and sustainable food system that is beneficial to people of color, small farmers, rural and tribal communities.” 50 member groups.
If you know of others, please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be tracking these.
The next step: a union of coalitions?