I am speaking at the Con Edison Science, Technology, Energy, Environment, and Math (STEEM) Distinguished Lecturer series on “Food Politics 2020: Food Industry Influence on Nutrition Research and Practice.” It’s from 12:15-1:30 pm at the Science Building, C-201. Details are here.
A roundup of articles on the infant formula industry
DairyReporter.com is another one of those industry newsletters I so enjoy reading. This particular article is a roundup of articles on the infant formula industry.
Special Edition: Infant nutrition
The field of infant nutrition is a constantly evolving one, as new ingredients are constantly being added to provide greater benefits, and products are being developed to more closely approximate breast milk for those unable to breast feed. In this special edition, DairyReporter takes a look at some recent innovation in the infant nutrition space.
- DSM puts early childhood nutrition on display at IFT: DSM Ingredients of the Netherlands showcased its products for all stages of life at the 2019 IFT show in New Orleans last week. Preconception, pregnancy, nursing, infants, toddlers and kids all fit into its portfolio of food and beverage ingredients… Read
- Chicory root fiber in the infant nutrition industry: Functional ingredient supplier BENEO offers products derived from chicory roots, beet sugar, rice and wheat… Read
- Liquid addition for IBC blending: Matcon has launched its Liquid Addition System to expand the range of the Intermediate Bulk Container (IBC) tumble blender for industries that need to be able to add liquids into a wide range of powder recipe mixes in a contained and efficient manner… Read
- Nestlé files patent on age-tailored infant formulas to curb later-life obesity, disease risk: Nestlé has developed six age-tailored infant formulas to prevent sub-optimal body composition in early-life that aim to reduce obesity, cardiovascular disease and metabolic disorder risk later in life… Read
- Awareness of MFGM growing: More pregnant women are familiar with the milk fat globule membrane (MFGM), a nutritional component naturally occurring in breast milk. It’s now being used as an ingredient in infant formula to “close the gap further between breast milk and formula.”.. Read
- Infant formula in India: FSSAI proposes regulations for products with special medical purposes: The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has issued a notification on a draft regulation for infant nutrition safety standards, calling for industry stakeholders to submit their comments… Read
- Nestlé seeks to lower minimum protein content in Australia and New Zealand follow-on formula: Nestlé has applied to Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) to reduce the minimum protein requirement for milk-based follow-on formula in the Australia and New Zealand Food Standards Code… Read
- Dairy Dialog podcast 32: Advanced Lipids, Prinova and Glanbia: This week’s Dairy Dialog podcast is based around some of the companies attending Vitafoods in Geneva last week… Listen now
- Moo-ving into udder markets: Bubs to continue goat milk formula innovation amid Fonterra cow milk collaboration: A supply agreement with Fonterra will see Bubs Australia venture into the cow’s milk infant formula space, though the firm has stressed that it will continue to innovate across its core range of goat’s milk products… Read
- ESI Nutrition’s infant nutrition powders now approved for export to China: ESI Nutrition, a division of French dairy cooperative Laïta, has received approval from Chinese authorities (GACG – General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China) allowing it to produce infant formulas in powder for China at its new industrial site, Laiterie Nouvelle de l’Argenon… Read
- EFSA deem protein isolates safe for extended use in infant formula and supplements: The European Food and Safety Authority’s (EFSA) Panel on Nutrition, Novel Foods and Food Allergens (NDA) concludes that whey basic protein isolates are safe under new proposed conditions of use… Read