I’m moderating an online webinar on the new Slow Food book, Ark of Taste, with authors David S. Shields and Giselle Kennedy Lord. For information and registration click here. It’s at 4:00 p.m. EST.
Weekend reading: food politics items of unusual interest
New product launches
- Why Kraft Heinz is making Macaroni & Cheese ice cream and Grey Poupon wine: The launches are part of an effort to build relevance for iconic brands in a way that aims to combine whimsy and consumer interest into items that attract both social media attention and sales.
- A delightful soft drink mashup: Pepsi and Peeps team up for marshmallow-flavored cola, out now: The Pepsi X Peeps drink, described as having a “pillowy-soft marshmallow cola flavor,” will be available in mini-can multipacks and 20 oz. bottles.
- Upcycling sawdust to make alternative oils and fats: Estonian start-up ÄIO joins the ranks of those brewing solutions to replace palm oil, coconut oil and animal fats with sustainable and healthier alternatives…. Read more
- BBC News Mars Wrigley factory fined after two workers fall into chocolate vat: Two workers were rescued when a hole was cut in the bottom of a partly-full Mars Wrigley chocolate tank. Read More
- UK Police force cracks case of 200,000 stolen Cadbury Creme Eggs from lock-up: A chocolate egg-snatcher is facing a jail sentence after being caught red-handed with a trailer load of Cadbury Crème eggs worth more than £31,000 ($37,000)…. Read more
- Review calls for more studies on cinnamon and cognitive function: Cinnamon and its bioactive compounds may support brain function and slow cognitive impairment associated with neurodegenerative diseases, suggests a new review published in the journal Nutritional Neuroscience…. Read more
Marshmallows and upcycled sawdust. Yum?
Chocolate is always in the news for one reason or another.
As for cinnamon and cognitive function, if only. The authors declare no conflicted interests.
For 30% off, go to www.ucpress.edu/9780520384156. Use code 21W2240 at checkout.