The Debt Limit bill: a national tragedy
Senator Bernie Sanders, maybe. Here’s why he voted against it.
Yes, the bill:
- Averted a default on the debt which everyone agrees would have been catastrophic (but the crisis should have been prevented in the first place)
- Will probably not cut SNAP benefits by much if at all (if you believe the Congressional Budget Office)
- Could have been a lot worse (a very low bar)
- Is considered a big win by the White House (oh dear)
But, and it’s a big but:
- It proved that bullying works.
The bullies know it, and are exulting.
The Farm Bill is next. Watch what the bullies do to it.
What ever happened to government of the people, by the people, for the people?
Existential angst, anyone? I’ve got plenty.