Industry-funded journal supplement: dairy and health
Nutrition journals sometimes publish supplements on specific topics. These are paid for by sponsors. The papers listed here are part of a supplement to the May 2019 issue of Advances in Nutrition.
The sponsor? As stated in the introductory article,
This supplement was sponsored by the Interprofessional Dairy Organization (INLAC), Spain. The sponsor had no role in the design of the studies included in the supplement; in the collection, analyses, or interpretation of the data; in the writing of the manuscripts; or in the decision to publish the results. Publication costs for this supplement were defrayed in part by the payment of page charges. The opinions expressed in this publication are those of the authors and are not attributable to the sponsors or the publisher, Editor, or Editorial Board of Advances in Nutrition.
Author disclosures: The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
The authors may think they have no conflicted interests, but as I discuss in Unsavory Truth, the effects of industry funding often are unconscious, unintentional, and unrecognized.
As is typical of industry-sponsored studies, the results of these dairy-funded studies are predictable. From looking at these titles, you can predict that they will show dairy foods to have positive effects on pregnancy, lactation, child growth, bone density, and cognition, and no negative effects on mortality, metabolism, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or cancer.
The overall conclusion is also predictable:
In conclusion, the systematic reviews and meta-analyses of the present supplement support adequate milk consumption at various stages of life and in the prevention/control of various noncommunicable chronic diseases.
If the dairy industry wants the public to believe these results, it should not be paying for them.
Supplement—Role of Milk and Dairy Products in Health and Prevention of Noncommunicable Chronic Diseases: A Series of Systematic Reviews
- Introduction and Executive Summary of the Supplement, Role of Milk and Dairy Products in Health and Prevention of Noncommunicable Chronic Diseases: A Series of Systematic Reviews. Ángel Gil ; Rosa M Ortega
- Effects of Milk and Dairy Product Consumption on Pregnancy and Lactation Outcomes: A Systematic Review. María Achón; Natalia Úbeda; Ángela García-González; Teresa Partearroyo ; Gregorio Varela-Moreiras
- Effects of Dairy Product Consumption on Height and Bone Mineral Content in Children: A Systematic Review of Controlled Trials. Carmela de Lamas; María José de Castro; Mercedes Gil-Campos ; Ángel Gil; María Luz Couce …
- Milk and Dairy Product Consumption and Risk of Mortality: An Overview of Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses. Ivan Cavero-Redondo; Celia Alvarez-Bueno; Mercedes Sotos-Prieto; Angel Gil ; Vicente Martinez-Vizcaino …
- Effect of Milk and Other Dairy Products on the Risk of Frailty, Sarcopenia, and Cognitive Performance Decline in the Elderly: A Systematic Review. Federico Cuesta-Triana; Carlos Verdejo-Bravo; Cristina Fernández-Pérez ; Francisco J Martín-Sánchez
- Effects of Milk and Dairy Products on the Prevention of Osteoporosis and Osteoporotic Fractures in Europeans and Non-Hispanic Whites from North America: A Systematic Review and Updated Meta-Analysis. Pilar Matía-Martín; Macarena Torrego-Ellacuría; Angélica Larrad-Sainz ; Cristina Fernández-Pérez; Federico Cuesta-Triana …
- Dairy Product Consumption in the Prevention of Metabolic Syndrome: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Prospective Cohort Studies. Guillermo Mena-Sánchez; Nerea Becerra-Tomás; Nancy Babio ; Jordi Salas-Salvadó<
- Effects of Milk and Dairy Product Consumption on Type 2 Diabetes: Overview of Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses. Celia Alvarez-Bueno; Ivan Cavero-Redondo; Vicente Martinez-Vizcaino; Mercedes Sotos-Prieto ; Jonatan R Ruiz …
- Milk and Dairy Product Consumption and Cardiovascular Diseases: An Overview of Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses. Javier Fontecha; Maria Visitación Calvo; Manuela Juarez; Angel Gil ; Vicente Martínez-Vizcaino
- Association Between Dairy Product Consumption and Colorectal Cancer Risk in Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Epidemiologic Studies. Laura Barrubés; Nancy Babio; Nerea Becerra-Tomás ; Núria Rosique-Esteban; Jordi Salas-Salvadó
- Milk and Dairy Product Consumption and Prostate Cancer Risk and Mortality: An Overview of Systematic Reviews and Meta-analyses. Bricia López-Plaza; Laura M Bermejo; Cristina Santurino ; Iván Cavero-Redondo; Celia Álvarez-Bueno …
- Milk and Dairy Product Consumption and Bladder Cancer Risk: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies. Laura M Bermejo; Bricia López-Plaza; Cristina Santurino ; Iván Cavero-Redondo; Carmen Gómez-Candela
- Milk and Dairy Product Consumption and Inflammatory Biomarkers: An Updated Systematic Review of Randomized Clinical Trials. Stine M Ulven; Kirsten B Holven; Angel Gil; Oscar D Rangel-Huerta
- Role of Functional Fortified Dairy Products in Cardiometabolic Health: A Systematic Review and Meta-analyses of Randomized Clinical Trials. María J Soto-Méndez; Oscar D Rangel-Huerta; María D Ruiz-López ; Emilio Martínez de Victoria; Augusto Anguita-Ruiz …