I am interested in the politics of CBD edibles and supplements, and have been collecting items. The big issue, of course, is regulation.
The FDA has a web page devoted to this topic:
FDA Regulation of Cannabis and Cannabis-Derived Products, Including Cannabidiol (CBD)
Here are some recent articles on what’s happening with CBD.
- FDA chief Hahn says it would be ‘fool’s game’ to try to shut down CBD markets: FDA Commissioner Dr Stephen Hahn, MD, in a speech on Wednesday that despite its continued concern about insufficient safety data FDA has no plans to try to shut down the CBD markets. Hahn said that would amount to a “fool’s game.”… Read more
- FDA report on CBD seen as ‘disappointing’ recap of status quo: A report on CBD delivered by FDA Commissioner Dr Stephen Hahn, MD, was seen by food and dietary supplement industry stakeholders as offering little hope of a timely regulatory solution for the ingredient…. Read more
- Economic Viability of Industrial Hemp in the United States: A Review of State Pilot Programs: After a hiatus of almost 45 years, the 2014 Farm Bill reintroduced industrial hemp production in the U.S. through State pilot programs. This study documents outcomes and lessons learned from the State pilot programs.
- GALLERY: Trend watching at the Cannabis Forum… ‘The hippies are being pushed out and the suits are coming in’:The hemp-derived CBD market is growing rapidly, although many CPG brands and retailers are waiting for clarity from the FDA on the regulatory path forward for cannabidiol before piling in, but what will distinguish the winners from the losers in this space? FoodNavigator-USA headed to the BevNET/Nosh Cannabis Forum in Santa Monica to find out. Read more
- CBD industry headed toward big overcapacity, expert asserts: The hemp/CBD industry may have gotten the cart before the horse in terms of extraction capacity and raw material supply, said an investment analyst familiar with the sector…. Read more
- FSAI issues updates to CBD food and supplement recall: The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has updated its recall of CBD-related foods and food supplements that have flagged up safety concerns due to the presence of delta‐9‐tetrahydrocannabinol or THC…. Read more
- Hemp-based meat: New Zealand firm eyes 2021 launch for minimally processed, sustainable new product: New Zealand alternative protein firm Sustainable Foods is planning a 2021 launch for its hemp-based meat analogues, which will be made will locally-grown hemp and processed using the firm’s own hydroelectric power plant…. Read more
- USDA seeks more hemp comments: For the second time, the Agricultural Marketing Service re-opened the public comment period for its industrial hemp regulations, this time asking for comment by Oct. 8 on a dozen topics including disposal and remediation of plants containing too much THC, whether to allow a longer harvest window after samples are gathered for testing and whether to allow more laboratories to conduct THC tests.