by Marion Nestle
Nov 10 2020
What should Biden do about food policy?
I have a few suggestions. Maybe you can think of others?
- Appoint committed experts to head federal agencies dealing with food issues (especially USDA, FDA, FTC, EPA, CDC).
- Rehire the experts who quit or were fired during the Trump administration.
- Bring the Economic Research Service back to Washington DC.
- Rescind the public charge and work rules that have led to SNAP de-enrollment; restore SNAP outreach.
- Refocus agricultural supports on food for people (rather than feed for animals or fuel for cars).
- Promote small- and mid-size agricultural production.
- Provide incentives for agricultural production that conserves and regenerates natural resources.
- Insist on fair pay for farm, packing house, restaurant, and grocery workers, and on safe working conditions.
- Use every means possible to promote diets that reduce the risk of overweight and the diseases for which it increases risk.
- Create a food agency to coordinate existing policies to develop a food system healthier for people and the planet.
Hey, I can dream.
Anything in this direction will be a big step forward.