I’m keynoting the workship on Food, Ethics, Politics at 4:00 with a reception to follow. My talk, “”Food, Ethics, Politics: The View from 2022,” will be in the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment, Maeder Hall, Room 002. This event is part of the University Center for Human Values (UCHV) Conferences, Workshops & Special Events. To register to attend, click here.
by Marion Nestle
Apr 8 2021
Plant-based: an attempt to keep up
Information pours out about plant-based meat and dairy substitutes. Here are some recent items, pro and con:
- Why plant-based business pioneers say the sector has just gotten started: The animal-free meat, dairy and cheese businesses are booming, but Seth Goldman, Miyoko Schinner and Alan Hahn said at a virtual conference last week that price parity, tech developments and more shifts in consumer preferences will drive it further.
- Alternative proteins may capture 11% of total protein sales by 2035: A new study estimates the segment will be valued at $290 billion in the next 14 years, as well as potentially reach price parity with conventional meat products as early as 2023.
- 7 in 10 US consumers would swap cell-based chicken for traditional meat: The study done by an outside firm on behalf of Eat Just found overall attitudes toward cultured meat offerings are becoming more favorable.
- PepsiCo overhauls Evolve in bid to make plant-based brand a household name: The food and beverage giant, which acquired the maker of bars, shakes and powders from Hormel in 2019, is hopeful new packaging, advertising and flavor profiles will raise brand awareness.
- Vegan language: Is ‘plant-based’ too limiting for this rapidly expanding sector?‘Plant-based’ is a broad term used by food marketers to describe animal-free products. But is it the most fitting?… Read more
- Plant-based dairy in focus: ‘Cheese is the most technically challenging space in dairy alternatives…’US retail sales of plant-based milk surged 21.9% to $2.542bn in measured channels in the year to Jan. 24, 2021, while sales of plant-based cheese and yogurt (far smaller categories) were up 43.6% to $233.9m and 16.4% to $346.2m respectively in the year to Feb 21, 2021, according to SPINS data…. Read more
- The brittle truth about vegan Easter eggs: Vegan alternatives pass the flavour test (up to a point) but are prone to shattering, according to market research…. Read more
- 1 in 4 meat substitutes ‘do not contain enough protein to be considered a source of protein’Over a quarter of processed, vegetarian meat-substitute products are not a source of protein, according to research by Safefood into the nutritional content of more than 350 products which claim to be meat replacements…. Read more