I’m keynoting the workship on Food, Ethics, Politics at 4:00 with a reception to follow. My talk, “”Food, Ethics, Politics: The View from 2022,” will be in the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment, Maeder Hall, Room 002. This event is part of the University Center for Human Values (UCHV) Conferences, Workshops & Special Events. To register to attend, click here.
On my wish list for the White House Conference: Reauthorize child nutrition legislation
The White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition & Health is convening today. As a reminder of why it matters, here’s what’s happening with the much-needed reauthorization of the Child Nutrition Bill.
The reauthorization bill, required every five years, was introduced in the House in July as H.R.5919 – Early Childhood Nutrition Improvement Act of 2021. If and when passed, it will:
- Increase kids’ access to free school meals
- Expand kids’ access to summer meals
- Expand kids’ access to day care meals
- Expand WIC (the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children) benefits and access
- Enable Tribal sovereignty in program administration
The Food Research & Action Center (FRAC) offers:
I’m hoping the White House Strategy announced today will include these elements for reducing childhood hunger.
Coming soon! My memoir, October 4.
For 30% off, go to www.ucpress.edu/9780520384156. Use code 21W2240 at checkout.