by Marion Nestle
Sep 21 2017
Food Politics: Canada
I don’t write much about Canadian food politics, but every now and then collect interesting items.
- Weighty Matters: an always informative blog by the Canadian physician, Yoni Freedhoff
- Front of Package labels: the Canadian government has these under consideration
- Food for Life Report, a publication of the Centre for Health Science and Law “helping to make Canadians more savvy eaters, and governments & industry more accountable”
- A report on how NAFTA promotes Canadian obesity and type 2 diabetes through increased consumption of high fructose corn syrup.
- A book about Canadian snack foods .
Bakery & Snacks interviewed the author:
BAS: Who do you really admire in the book?
Janis Thiessen: As a company, I admire Hawkins Cheezies for their rejection of capitalist imperatives like growth and expansion. As an individual, I admire Covered Bridge fryer operator Thomas Broad, who has overcome personal adversity and has pride and autonomy in his work.