I’m on a panel for the NYAS’s conference on Conflicts of Interest in Healthcare: Opportunities for Self-Reflection and Action, June 24-25. Location: 7 World Trade Center. 250 Greenwich St, 40th Floor. Information and registration are here. My panel is on the 25th at 10:45 a.m. , Session VI: Hot topic discussion: getting to the truth in nutrition science. Other panelists are Mona Calvo fro Penn State, Mehmood Khan from Life Biosciences, and Linda Van Horn from Northwestern. Moderator is Julia Belluz from Vox.
by Marion Nestle
Mar 30 2020
Coronavirus and food: weekly update
- Floyd Cardoz, a chef whose food I loved, is one of the early casualties. I last talked to him at an event not six weeks ago. He was having a hard time. But to end like this? A heartbreak.
Predictions of high risk
- Obesity and type 2 diabetes make people more vulnerable: Reuters reports on the situation in Mexico.
Effects on food systems
- Countries are starting to hoard food: Bloomberg News reports. [Oh great. Just what we need].
- Industry trade groups work together to fill gaps, create economic stability as COVID-19 spreads: An ad-hoc partnership between FMI-Food Industry Association, the International Foodservice Distributors Association, United Produce Association and National Fisheries Institute aims to help overwhelmed grocery retailers keep shelves stocked, stores clean and employees safe in the coming weeks while also providing economic stability as foodservice distributors see business dry up unexpectedly due to the coronavirus pandemic…. Read more
- With Covid-19, wild-animal markets face new pressures to shutter: The trade in wild animals is coming under increasing pressure to shut down, ever since the source of the Covid-19 pandemic was linked to a “wet market” in Wuhan, China, where throngs of customers shop for live animals held in cramped quarters, as Brian Barth reports in FERN’s latest story.
- United Fresh calls for federal assistance for COVID-19 losses: The United Fresh Produce Association is requesting urgent action by Congress to help the fresh produce supply chain deal with the financial shocks caused by the coronavirus COVID-19 outbre
The alcohol industry responds
- US alcohol calls on Congress for economic relief from COVID-19: With the economic fallout from the COVID-19 crisis only likely to worsen, the federal government is announcing different forms of aid packages. US alcohol associations are now asking for assistance…. Read more
- Coronavirus: Alcohol struggles as bars close, but ecommerce thrives: The beverage industry is keeping a close eye on the rippling effects from the COVID-19 pandemic. And in the US, there have been a few positives mixed in with the negatives, such as a boom for ecommerce…. Read more
- Alcohol companies pivot to producing hand sanitizer as coronavirus intensifies: As consumers empty store shelves of the popular gel, local distilleries and bigger companies like Diageo and Anheuser-Busch are helping to alleviate the shortage while finding a new source of revenue.
Here come the panaceas
- Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls ramps up production of its Throat And Chest and Herbal Cough lozenges during Coronavirus: Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls has shifted production to its Throat And Chest and Herbal Cough lozenges to help people suffering from the effects of coronavirus…. Read more
- Coronavirus prompts spike in e-commerce sales of CBD; consumers seek higher dose products: Regulatory uncertainty coupled with the fact that retailers are not focused on onboarding new brands right now make this a tough time for new CBD brands. However, e-commerce sales of hemp-derived CBD have spiked, while a new survey from Brightfield Group suggests that four in 10 CBD consumers plan to use CBD more frequently because of COVID-19, with 15% planning to use a higher dose…. Read more
- Coronavirus is driving sales of probiotic products: Why? These are marketed as immunity boosters [if only].
- Charles Piller writes in Science about the risks of malaria drugs
Here come the frauds
- The Department of Justice has issued a fraud warning: It lists the schemes and legal liabilities.
- FairWarning says “Here come the frauds…Coronavirus cons begin“
- Coronavirus immunity claim warning for Omega-3 industry: Omega-3 businesses have been warned about the dangers of making immunity claims during this Coronavirus crisis…. Read more
For useful information