Food insecurity is rising, especially among kids
The Wall Street Journal reports “More Americans Go Hungry Amid Coronavirus Pandemic, Census Shows.”
As of late last month, about 12.1% of adults lived in households that didn’t have enough to eat at some point in the previous week, up from 9.8% in early May, Census figures show. And almost 20% of Americans with kids at home couldn’t afford to give their children enough food, up from almost 17% in early June.
The most shocking revelation? Try this.
What’s going on here?
- Delays in getting unemployment benefits
- An end to the $600 unemployment supplement
- No increase in SNAP benefits
- Closed schools and child care centers no longer feeding kids.
- Food prices are up
- Food banks are overwhelmed
If ever there was a need for policy, this is it.