by Marion Nestle
Mar 31 2023
Weekend reading: Nutrition research at NIH
While I’m catching up on items I’ve been wanting to post about I ran across this report from NIH about its nutrition research initiatives.
- NIH’s total investment in nutrition-related research was approximately $2.0 billion in FY20 and $2.1 billion in FY21.
- Nutrition research funding increased by approximately $510 million—a 25 percent overall increase—from FY14 to FY21
- Approximately half of the nutritionrelated projects in FY20 and FY21 were related to prevention or obesity.
- NIH sponsored workshops on Precision Nutrition, Food Insecurity, and Conflicting and Controversial Health Information in the Media
- Nutrition research comprises just under 5% of total NIH research obligations.
- NIH sponsored a study in 2021 of low-fat compared to low-carb diet.
- A future direction will be to address how “food as medicine” can be improved in clinical settings.
I did not know much of this and am happy to have the report.
- Nutrition Research Report 2020-2021: Executive Summary
- Nutrition Research Report 2020-2021
- NIH Nutrition Research Reports: 2017-2019
For 30% off, go to www.ucpress.edu/9780520384156. Use code 21W2240 at checkout.