I will be discussing Let’s Ask Marion with Clark Wolf as part of the Fales Library Critical Topics Series at 5:00 p.m., via Zoom. It’s free but registration is required—here.
“Functional” candy? Special report from Confectionary News
The industry newsletter ConfectionaryNews.com has a collection of articles on “functional” candy. In this context, “functional” means the addition of something not originally present to enhance the food’s nutritional value.
In the U.S., confectioners have to be careful not to violate the FDA’s so-called “jelly bean rule,” one that says you cannot add nutrients to foods (like jelly beans) just to make them appear to be healthy.
But wouldn’t it be great if candy was a health food? Spirulina chocolate? Read on.
The consumer trend towards better-for-you snacks gives confections made with functional ingredients an opportunity to scoop up their share in the health and wellness market.
As part of this special edition on Functional Confectionery, ConfectioneryNews talks to YouBar about its nutrition bars that meet individualized recipes for dietary and nutritional needs; Rainmaker which is currently testing its first line of branded protein confectionery products in the UK and Ireland; and Supertreats’ carob powder which is a healthy alternative to cocoa.
- Michigan food incubator bets big on protein for confectionery startups’ growth: Food incubator Rainmaker said incoming confectioners should mimic the snack category using protein as a functional ingredient to drive their sales… Read
- Carob’s health halo beats cocoa for kids confectionery, says UK start-up: Far from being cocoa’s poor cousin, carob powder is the ideal ingredient for healthy confectionery for kids, mimicking the “shine, snap and silky smooth texture” of milk chocolate without the stimulants caffeine and theobromine, says Supertreats founder… Read
- YouBar increases production for nutrition bars for individualized dietary needs: YouBar has seen increased demand for its ready-for-market nutrition bars that meet individualized recipes for a range of dietary and nutritional needs… Read
- Functional formulation: Turkish team hunt for recipe to better quality omega-3 chocolate: Both white and dark chocolate can be used as a carrier matrix for bioactive substances like omega-3, say researchers. However the type of EPA and DHA used may have a major impact on quality, they warn… Read
- Going for gum: Vitamin drinks brand expands into vitamin chewing gum: A vitamin drinks brand is expanding into confectionery with its vitamin chewing gum: seeing the potential of both products to appeal to on-the-go consumers… Read
- Spirulina finds success in Dutch start-up’s algae chocolate: Dutch start-up The Algae Factory is pushing the foodpairing boundaries with its algae chocolate that contains sustainably sourced spirulina… Read