by Marion Nestle
Jan 10 2019
The latest in snack trends?
Here are a few examples of the latest trends in snack products in the U.S. and Europe, culled from articles in FoodNavigator.com. The purpose of these products is to make money for their manufacturers, the more the better.
Lots of interest in insects and worms these days….
- Bugs are big business for tomorrow’s snacks, says PepsiCo; calls for ideas: The Doritos and Cheetos maker is capitalizing on the growing insect and plant-based protein trend, and has called for novel protein ideas to use in its snacks. Read more
- NPD trend tracker: Insect snacks, fruit desserts and soft Skittles: UK retailer Sainsbury’s creates a buzz with beer snack bugs, French jam brand Bonne Maman moves into the chilled dessert category and Mars France removes Skittles’ crunchy coating. Here is our round-up of some of Europe’s most interesting recent product launches. Read more
- NPD trend tracker: Plant-based fish, buckwheat biscuits and convenient cups: US brand Loma Linda debuts in the UK with a range of products including a seafood-free tuna alternative (‘Tuno’); the importance of on-the-go and convenience trends is evident in Euryza’s new range of rice cups in Germany; while the ‘craft’ craze continues to sweep France with the introduction of buckwheat biscuits. Here is FoodNavigator’s weekly round-up of some of the most interesting product launches to hit Europe. Read more
- New product trend tracker: From the ‘biggest’ pig in a blanket to consumer-designed chocolate: This week’s round up of some of the most interesting products rolling out across Europe gets festive with the ‘biggest’ pig in a blanket available in the UK this Christmas. We also hear from crowd-sourced innovation platform C’est Qui Le Patron, while Nestle launches more ruby chocolate products. Read more
- NPD trend tracker: From worm bars to ‘healthy’ confectionery balls: The latest products hitting the shelves in Europe reflect the concerns of an increasingly adventurous consumer base. Recent introductions range from celebrity-backed protein bars made from worms to better-for-you confectionery balls that are made without added sugar. Read more