Leah Douglas at the Food and Environment Reporting Network (FERN) is doing a great public service. She has a website where she reports Covid-19 cases among workers in the food system.
These are not trivial. As of July 24, she reports Covid-19 cases in:
- 370 meatpacking plants
- 139 food processing plants
- 74 farms and production facilities
As for confirmed cases:
- 37,197 meatpacking workers
- 4,635 food processing workers
- 4,927 farmworkers
She reports 188 deaths among these workers
- 168 among meatpacking workers
- 14 among food processing workers
- 6 among farmworkers
Here’s what this looks like:
Where is all this happening? She’s got a chart for that too.
These places have a lot to answer for.
This is an American tragedy.