by Marion Nestle
May 13 2021
Keeping up with plant-based food products (not easy)
Plant-based meat and dairy products are big business these days, with startups loaded with investor capital.
Here are some recent items on what’s happening in this food business sector.
- Plant-based meat, egg and ‘dairy’ investment trebles: Plant-based meat, egg and ‘dairy’ attracted the most alt-protein investment globally in 2020, claims the Good Food Institute (GFI), whose foodservice and supply chain manager Zak Weston is presenting at Food Manufacture’s virtual plant-based protein conference. Read more
- Plant-based treats and nostalgic sweets: Plant-based bakery ingredients, ice cream and gourmet sweets lead this roundup of the latest food and drink product launches from the past month. Read more
- Plant-based Beyond Meat secures 400 listings across the UK: Meat alternatives brand Beyond Meat has secured listings for its products in more than 400 retail stores across the UK as part of a significant distribution expansion across Europe. Read more
- Beyond Meat set to return to plant-based chicken this summer, Bloomberg reports: Just two years after the faux meat maker pulled its frozen strips, the company is poised to reenter the retail category again, but this time with several large competitors.
- Loma Linda Tuno: Plant-based tuna and the benefits of soy: The start of 2021 saw a record number of plant-based products hit the market. Read more
- Designing products for regional preferences offers growth opportunity in meat-free, says Quorn: The alternative protein pioneer says meat alternatives need to develop in line with regional preferences in order to gain global share…. Read more
- Cargill enters JV with vegan fat and blood innovator Bflike for ‘virtually indistinguishable’ plant-based meat and fish alternatives: Cargill is investing in Bflike, a Dutch start-up the company says will be a ‘new technology leader’ in plant-based meat and fish analogues…. Read more
- Tyson expands plant-based Raised & Rooted line: Tyson Foods’ plant-based brand Raised & Rooted has added four items: burger patties, a ground beef alternative, bratwursts and Italian sausages. All four are pea-protein-based and have rolled out nationwide.
- Impossible Foods applauds 9th Circuit ruling over safety of its heme, slams ‘anti-science, anti-GMO activist group’ for ‘spreading lies’: Impossible Foods has applauded a decision by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to uphold the FDA’s approval of soy leghemoglobin (aka ‘heme’) – the star ingredient in its plant-based burgers – as a color additive…. Read more
- Nestle to debut plant-based milk in Europe: Nestle is set to release a line of pea-based milk called Wunda in Portugal, France and the Netherlands, with an expanded rollout in Europe to follow. The line will include three varieties: unsweetened, original and chocolate.
- Brave new ‘animal-free’ world: When animal products are no longer made from animals, what do we call them? (And are they vegan?) Thanks to advances in synthetic biology, with the right set of instructions, an army of microscopic little food factories (yeast, fungi, bacteria, algae etc) can now make animal proteins without animals, from collagen and egg albumin to whey protein if you feed them sugar and put them in a fermentation tank. But what do we call them? And are they vegan?… Read more