Weekend reading: front-of-pack labels
Center for Science in the Public Interest is campaigning for mandatory front-of-package labeling—like these.
Here’s what you need to know about the campaign:
- Comment from CSPI responding, point-by-point, to industry arguments opposing mandatory front-of-package labeling
- Sign-on comment filed in support of CSPI’s front-of-package labeling petition
- Signatories include American Heart Association, American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, American Public Health Association, Consumer Federation of America, Consumer Reports, and more
- Comment filed in response to FDA’s proposal to conduct quantitative research on front-of-package labeling
- Factsheet summarizing the importance of mandatory front-of-package labeling in the U.S. (from January)
- Factsheet summarizing findings of a public opinion poll commissioned by CSPI in March (we found widespread support for mandatory front-of-package labeling)
Guess what! The food industry opposes this kind of labeling. A lot.
Why? Because it might discourage purchase of ultra-processed junk foods. That, after all, is its point.