I’m keynoting the workship on Food, Ethics, Politics at 4:00 with a reception to follow. My talk, “”Food, Ethics, Politics: The View from 2022,” will be in the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment, Maeder Hall, Room 002. This event is part of the University Center for Human Values (UCHV) Conferences, Workshops & Special Events. To register to attend, click here.
by Marion Nestle
Nov 19 2011
Of course pizza is a vegetable: Mark Russell commentary
From comedian Mark Russell*
- No dessert until you finish your tomato paste.
- The push to limit pizza in school lunch programs has been derailed in Congress by members who classify tomato paste as a vegetable. Who says this is a do-nothing Congress?
- Their true quote: “An eighth of a cup of tomato paste has the nutritional value of a half-cup of vegetables and when mixed with water for pizza sauce, more of a vegetable is created.”
- Right. And when you add cheese, pepperoni and sausage — voila! — you have a healthy fruit salad.
* c/o Tribune Media Services, 2225 Kenmore Ave., Suite 114, Buffalo, NY 14207.