The Brazil meat scandal: A Global Meal News roundup
Global Meat News is another one of those industry newsletters I follow closely. It’s been tracking what’s been happening with meat in Brazil. This is a great place to find out about this quickly.
Brazil meat scandal: Brazil, one of the world’s top meat producers, was rocked less than a fortnight ago by a meat scandal that threatened to curtail the country’s ambitious export targets. In this special newsletter, GlobalMeatNews takes an in-depth look at a story that sent shock waves through the animal protein industry.
These are in reverse chronological order, so start at the bottom if you want to begin at the beginning:
- Brazil meat scandal could spark billions in losses: Brazil’s rotten meat scandal may have weathered the worst of the storm, but financial losses from the corruption saga could still reach $4.8 billion (bn), Fitch Ratings has claimed… Read
- Brazil standing by export hope as meat scandal cools: The rotten meat scandal that rocked Brazil has not dented the country’s ambitious sales drive, according to the Brazilian Beef Exporters Association (Read).
- Hong Kong restores Brazilian meat trade: Hong Kong is the latest key importer to have lifted a ban on Brazilian meat, after China and Egypt eased restrictions earlier this week… Read
- Key markets lift ban on Brazilian meat: Brazil has let out a sigh of relief this week after crucial export markets, including China and Egypt, lifted import bans imposed following alleged bribery of meat factory health inspectors. .. Read
- Leaders from Brazil and EU to tackle meat ‘crisis’: European Commissioner Vytenis Andriukaitis is in Brazil on a three-day mission to ensure imported food is safe for consumption, following claims Brazilian meat processors bribed government officials and sold rotten meat… Read
- Farm body wants ‘action’ after Brazil meat scandal: EU farming body Copa-Cogeca has urged Brussels to enforce stronger action on Brazilian meat imports, following allegations that meat processors bribed government officials to turn a blind eye to rotten beef and poultry… Read
- Brazil meat scandal: EU says trade ban ‘inaccurate’: The international embarrassment facing Brazil over its rotten meat scandal has deepened after Hong Kong joined China in banning meat imports, although Europe is yet to follow suit… Read
- Brazil meat scandal: trade hits back after police sting: After a major investigation showed evidence of rotten meat being consumed in Brazil and exported over the last two years, Brazilian meatpacking industry associations have accused the police of exaggeration… Read
- Brazil rocked by rotten meat scandal: Brazil has been engulfed in controversy after police launched a massive raid on the country’s meat processors, some of whom stand accused of corruption and selling rotten meat… Read