by Marion Nestle
May 4 2017
Widespread public support for SNAP changes
Voice of the People has the results of a survey finding that most respondents support:
- Increased benefits for SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps) recipients [81%].
- The idea that SNAP benefits should not be permitted to be used for candy and sodas [73-76%].
- Providing incentives to encourage SNAP beneficiaries to eat more fruits and vegetables [90%].
Politico commented (April 26):
The findings suggest there is a massive divide between the public and Congress on SNAP issues. There is currently no feasible discussion of raising SNAP benefits, and a recent House Agriculture Committee hearing on SNAP restrictions showcased that there is bipartisan opposition to the idea on the committee.
- The findings of the report
- The survey questionnaire
- A recent study: What foods and beverages SNAP recipients are buying (“room for improvement”)