I am speaking at the Con Edison Science, Technology, Energy, Environment, and Math (STEEM) Distinguished Lecturer series on “Food Politics 2020: Food Industry Influence on Nutrition Research and Practice.” It’s from 12:15-1:30 pm at the Science Building, C-201. Details are here.
Will we ever stop misusing animal antibiotics?
- Stop using antibiotics critical to human medicine to promote livestock growth and prevent disease,
- Only use these drugs when prescribed by a veterinarian for treatment of disease,
- Be transparent about the amount of antibiotics it uses and why.
The poultry industry routinely uses antibiotics in feed and water despite major efforts to stop this practice.
Government agencies concerned about increasing resistance to animal antibiotics have long wanted their use stopped or managed appropriately.
- The FDA’s policy is to do what the IPC is now advising.
- The CDC has long complained that widespread misuse of antibiotics promotes the growth of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- The Union of Concerned Scientists has an excellent background paper on the topic.
- Consumers Union also has an excellent position paper.
Trying to stop misuse of animal antibiotics has a long history.
The animal agriculture industry has fought all attempts to curtain antibiotic use.
The word has gotten through to the poultry industry. Let’s hope this works.