I’m moderating an online webinar on the new Slow Food book, Ark of Taste, with authors David S. Shields and Giselle Kennedy Lord. For information and registration click here. It’s at 4:00 p.m. EST.
Weekend reading and viewing: What the Democratic candidates have to say about food and agriculture
The New York Times carried a plea this week for more attention to food and nutrition policy from presidential candidates.
So is Jerry Hagstrom, who has given permission to re-post these links from his Hagstrom Report, a daily newsletter about “agriculture news as it happens,” to which I gratefully subscribe (the Washington Post just ran a story about him).
Hagstrom collected agricultural position statements posted by candidates in Iowa.
▪ Joe Biden — The Biden Plan for Rural America
▪ Pete Buttigieg — A Commitment to America’s Heartland: Unleashing the Potential of Rural America
▪ — Securing a Healthy Future for Rural America
▪ John Delaney — Heartland Fair Deal
▪ Kirsten Gillibrand — Rebuilding Rural America for Our Future
▪ Kamala Harris (video) — Kamala Harris answers question on Rural America, July 4, 2019, Indianola, Iowa
▪ Amy Klobuchar — Plan from the Heartland: Strengthening our Agricultural and Rural Communities
▪ Tim Ryan — Improving Our Agriculture and Food System
▪ Bernie Sanders — Revitalizing Rural America
▪ Elizabeth Warren — My Plan to Invest in Rural America
▪ — The Farm Economy
▪ Donald Trump — Land and Agriculture: President Donald J. Trump Achievements
Videos of all the “soapbox” speeches, In alphabetical order
▪ Sen. Michael Bennet, D-Colo.
▪ Former Vice President Joe Biden
▪ Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J.
▪ Montana Gov. Steve Bullock
▪ South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg
▪ Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro
▪ New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio
▪ Former Rep. John Delaney, D-Md.
▪ Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii
▪ Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y.
▪ Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif.
▪ Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper — Withdrew from race Thursday
▪ Washington Gov. Jay Inslee
▪ Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn.
▪ Rep. Seth Moulton, D-Mass.
▪ Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio
▪ Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vt.
▪ Former Rep. Joe Sestak, D-Pa.
▪ Hedge fund manager and activist Tom Steyer
▪ Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass.
▪ Former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld, Republican
▪ Author Marianne Williamson
▪ Entrepreneur Andrew Yang