I’m moderating an online webinar on the new Slow Food book, Ark of Taste, with authors David S. Shields and Giselle Kennedy Lord. For information and registration click here. It’s at 4:00 p.m. EST.
What’s up? Plant-based meat and dairy substitutes
I’ve been collecting items on what’s happening in the plant-based food world. Lots. It’s the hot new topic, as demonstrated by a recent Rabobank Talking Points survey.
For starters, do not miss the competing 30-second, spelling bee videos. The first is from the Center for Consumer Freedom, the discredited PR firm that never reveals who pays for their campaigns, although this one is pretty easy to guess; it aired in Washington, DC during the SuperBowl. The 30-second rebuttal parody is from Impossible Foods, the inventor and marketer of Impossible Burgers. CNBC has an exceptionally clear account of what this is all about.
Next, check out the February edition of Scientific American, which has a page titled “Meat the Imitators.” This lists the ingredients of four imitation meats, including Impossible Burger, in comparison to a burger made with real beef. Worth a look.
Then, see The Guardian on how all this happened (with a long section on cell-based meat, as well).
And now to the industry perspective:
- Violife makes US (re)debut into plant-based cheese category: Popular among vegan circles, plant-based cheese brand Violife is breaking into mainstream US grocery channels where it can go head to head with the likes of Daiya Foods and Kite Hill…. Read more
- Nestlé and Merit Functional Foods enter joint development agreement to scale pea and canola proteins supply: Under a new joint development agreement, Nestlé will help Merit Functional Foods and its technology partner, Burcon NutraScience, scale and commercialize its portfolio of plant proteins with the goal of using the startup’s novel ingredients in foods and beverages produced by the world’s largest food company…. Read more
- Folded, frozen, and faster: JUST Egg is now more convenient, and cheaper, to enjoy: Eat JUST, Inc, known for its JUST Egg liquid plant-based egg replacement made from the mung bean, has debuted a folded product that requires novice culinary skills to make, said co-founder and CEO Josh Tetrick, whose preferred method of preparation is the standard toaster…. Read more
- Harmless Harvest moves into plant-based yogurt: ‘We’re making it pretty differently than just about anyone else’ Harmless Harvest – which has carved a distinct niche in the coconut water category via its use of micro-filtration (instead of thermal pasteurization) – is promising to bring the same commitment to novel processing methods, organic ingredients, and clean labels, to the plant-based yogurt market…. Read more
- Roquette ‘significantly increases’ pea protein supply deal with Beyond Meat: Ingredients specialist Roquette has extended its pea protein supply agreement with Beyond Meat for three more years. The amount supplied will ‘significantly’ increase compared to 2019 figures, Roquette executive Jean-Philippe Azoulay tells FoodNavigator…. Read more
- Plant-based seafood brand Good Catch raises over $32m in Series B financing round: Gathered Foods, parent company to plant-based seafood brand Good Catch, has closed a series B funding round led by several industry players including Greenleaf Foods and 301 INC, the venture arm of General Mills…. Read more
- Cool Beans targets shoppers seeking plant-based whole foods, not ‘processed’ meat analogs: The quest to precisely mimic the taste and texture of meat and dairy is driving innovation in the next generation of ‘plant-based’ foods. But there is also growing demand for less ‘processed’ products made from whole foods, says the CEO of Cool Beans…. Read more
- Where next for plant-based in 2020? ADM shares top trend predictions for the category: The total retail market for plant-based foods in the US was worth nearly $4.5bn* in 2019 with dollar sales growing at 31% over the past two years compared to 4% for US retail total dollar food sales. And according to global ingredients supplier ADM, 2020 is “going to be another breakout year for the category.”… Read more
- Bubble burst? Researchers question long-term health and environmental effects of plant-based diet: Plant-based products have recently come under fire for potential negative health and environmental effects, but much of this has so far gone more or less unnoticed and/or unmentioned by its proponents, it has been claimed…. Read more
- Displaying entire nutrition profile of animal protein could protect sales from plant-based competition: So far, the health halo surrounding plant-based products has led many consumers to overlook characteristics of newer versions of meatless products that might be a turnoff in other food categories, including longer-ingredient lists and less favorable nutritional profiles, suggests new research from the International Food Information Council Foundation… Read