The holidays are a quiet time for food politics so I thought I catch up on some pending items, starting with GMOs.
- The Grocery Manufacturer’s Association (GMA) wants the FDA to approve a “natural’ label for GMOs. No, the GMA is not kidding.
- Senator Dianne Feinstein (Dem-CA) wants President Obama to mandate GMO labeling. She says he can use his administrative authority to do this.
- A bunch of Senators signed on to a bill to label GMOs.
- The Center for Food Safety says half of all states are working on GMO labeling initiatives.
- The GMA must be worried. It is leading a coalition to do voluntary GMO labeling.
- More than a decade ago, the FDA issued draft guidance for voluntary GMO labeling, but never did anything with it. Rumors are that the agency will be issuing (reissuing?) such guidance soon.
- In the meantime, the Union of Concerned Scientists just released a report on the alarming rise of herbicide-resistant “superweeds” used to douse GMO crops. Oops.
No, tired as you may be of them, GMO issues are not going to disappear in 2014.
My prediction: labeling will come, maybe sooner rather than later, although it’s hard to say in what form.